What came first, the exercise or the diet?

You know, for me, diets don’t work. I cannot start getting fit by following a diet alone. I just can’t stick with it for more than a few days. I get cranky and tired. I’m hungry all the time. Obsessed. I resent the hell out of it.

However, when I start by focusing on exercise? The food follows. I make better choices. I don’t want to eat constantly or to overeat. I have more energy. I’m less stressed. I have momentum and feel unstoppable. I have fun!

What do you start with? Focusing on food? Or exercise? Or something else? What works for you?

Sat, September 13 2008 » Strategy

1. Annette September 13 2008 @ 7:42 am

I started with diet first. I think after about 2 weeks or so I added a slow30 min walk most days. I gradually built up to a faster pace and would walk up to an hour. Through the hot summer, I switched to Leslie Sansone dvds. The one I am currently doing, kicks my butt. It’s 56 min…4 miles….talk about sweat. I love them feeling I get near the end when the happy hormones kick in :) I do core strength training 3x a week. I would never again do just diet. I love the changes I see in my muscle tone that I wouldn’t be seeing without exercise.

2. The Bigger Idiot September 13 2008 @ 10:01 pm

I always start with food and let it take me as far as I can, then when the loss slows down or I get frustrated, I add the exercise. I know tha the exercise makes a much bigger difference to the way my body feels than the fod does, but I find it really hard to begin. Once I have a routine I quite enjoy it, but those first few days are terrible.

3. Alexia September 13 2008 @ 10:50 pm

You guys are stronger than me! I just can’t do the food part without doing the exercise first.

4. Lyn September 14 2008 @ 5:42 pm

You know, this is a great insight. Maybe I had it backwards. I always try and get the eating going first and then worry about exercise. But I am going to try focusing on the exercise this week and see if that helps me eat better. Thanks!

5. Just_Kelly September 15 2008 @ 9:55 am

I spent the last 2 months making exercise a habit. Now (this week) I’m transitioning to focusing on my eating. Well, not really transitioning… adding! I’m going to follow SBD for 2 weeks then work on keeping a low GI diet.

I do find when I work out I think more about what I choose to eat. I go “do I want to undo my run by eating ______?”

One Ping

1. What came first, the exercise or the diet? | realfitnesstx.com September 13 2008 @ 9:07 am