Weight loss and Second Life; My exceptionally cranky day

First, no one would have known today was a cranky day. I don’t tend to stomp around and be an obvious crank. But I really was colossally cranky. Wow. I was resentful that circumstances prevented my completing my 2.5mi weekend swim yesterday (I finished it this afternoon). I was cranky about just everything! It just seemed like things weren’t going My Way (and gosh knows, it’s all about me, me, me!)

Anyway, the good news is, I swam it off, for the most part, and felt like I accomplished something. I’m actually just about to do some walking now.

Did you hear that? I didn’t eat to feel better! Wow, what a concept.

Now, on to another topic: body image. Not so much self-esteem issues around body image, but actually being able to visualize my body accurately, now and at lower weights. For some reason, my brain’s image and reality don’t line up. I know this is common when you lose weight — it takes 6-12 months for your brain’s image of you to catch up with reality. But this has been a life-long issue for me.

I read somewhere that people used avatars on Second Life to see what it would be like to be at their target weights. (I can’t find that original article, but did just find it fascinating how many results came up when I googled second life and body image. Wow.)

Anyway, I created a fit, yet realistic, avatar on Second Life and explored around a bit. Maybe I don’t really get it so well, but I’m not as into virtual worlds as I was when I was, like, 20. (OK, in those days, it was before the World Wide Web existed and we hung out on Compu$erve and it was all text-based ;-)) I quickly got bored and left her floating in some meditation pool and left. (Strangely enough, I feel relaxed when I think of her floating away there 😉 If you see Alexia Writer floating in a pool somewhere in Second Life, that’s her! Or me. Whatever.)

I have used the low-tech old “thin” photo on the fridge trick, but that wasn’t from a very happy time, so I just looked at it and thought UGH rather than, oh, cool, that’s me, thin and fit!

Have you tried to create an identity of yourself as a thinner fitter person? Do you find it hard to visualize yourself thin and fit?

Mon, September 15 2008 » Self image, Stress eating

1. Slim September 15 2008 @ 10:15 pm

I was out of sorts today, so I can relate to your post. Thank God tomorrow is another day.

2. Annette September 15 2008 @ 11:25 pm

For the last few months I visualize myself this Fall and winter outside in the elements in cute cool weather fitted pants…….raking leaves, playing in the snow. I love the Fall so this one has been really helping me “get” there :) I don’t have an old picture in my head just a new, stronger me who happens to be a good bit thinner with a heck of a lot more energy.

3. Alexia September 16 2008 @ 7:16 am

Let’s hear it for another day! And for energy! :-)

4. Jill September 16 2008 @ 7:29 am

Must be something in the air – is there cranky pollen floating around??? 😉

I have the opposite body image problem – I always think I’m thinner than I really am. Weird, I know, but it’s not until I’m blindsided by dressing room mirrors and lighting that I see just how overweight I am. I think I must have skinny mirrors in my house or something.

5. MizFit September 16 2008 @ 8:18 am

jill I had a BAD case of the cranky pollens yesterday,too.

it’s all over the place where i live :)

6. Crabby McSlacker September 16 2008 @ 10:45 am

I am secretly responsible for spreading Cranky pollen around, sorry.

Was just trying to create new Cranky readers for Cranky Fitness.

I promise I’ll stop now; you may all proceed to have a cheerful day.

7. Alexia September 16 2008 @ 10:54 am

I knew that Crabby McSlacker must have been around! Grr! 😉

You know, I didn’t think about the pollen — that might actually have something to do with it. Hello, September 😛

Jill, I have a mental pic of myself at about 220 — if I’m thinner, I see myself as fatter. If I’m fatter than that, I see myself as thinner. Go figure. The brain is a strange thing. Sigh. I might try an art project around this. Hmm.

8. Alexia September 16 2008 @ 10:55 am

Oh, but, Jill, if you could tell me where to get some of those mirrors… 😉

One Ping

1. Weight Loss » Blog Archive » Weight loss and Second Life; My exceptionally cranky day September 15 2008 @ 9:27 pm