I ran. I RAN. I R.A.N. As in, didn’t walk.

I did the unthinkable today.

The impossible.

The unimaginable.

There I was, walking on the track at the YMCA. I was walking at a good clip — probably around 4-4.5 miles per hour. (Who knew Steal Your Face was a song with a quick enough tempo? And, I was groovy and mellow while doing it. Must have been that the Professor played a great show for us: Grateful Dead Berkeley Community Theatre Berkeley, CA 8/25/72. Thanks, Professor!)

Then, an even more energetic song came on and I thought, I’m going to attempt to jog a few steps! (Literally, I was going to shoot for about 10 feet.) I ended up jogging a whole lap! I wasn’t even really winded — just breathing slightly harder, but not panting or gasping or anything.

For me, this is big. I’m a good walker, but my whole life I had this image of myself as a non-runner. No way. No can do.

I know one lap (several actually, because I started doing a run lap for every several walk laps) doesn’t make a runner, but it’s given me a new challenge now that the Lazy Waister’s Triathlon is done. My goal is going to be to be able to run 5k by the end of December.

Sat, October 4 2008 » Motivation, Progress

1. Arlene October 4 2008 @ 2:38 pm

That is very cool. Unfortunately my knees won’t let me run anymore, but there was a time when I jogged daily. What an energy booster that was!

2. Tanya October 4 2008 @ 7:32 pm

AWESOME! I’m so not a runner but I LOVE the elliptical machine… I’m hoping by the end of the month I’ll be able to start exercising. Then watch out BLBE participants…

3. Alexia October 4 2008 @ 8:05 pm

Yeah, Arlene, I was surprised because I have trouble going up and down (especially down) stairs because I have arthritis in my knees. I guess I should check in with my doctor, but it felt really good!

Tanya, the elliptical machine is a cruel machine — I admire you :-) Sounds like we’ll have a challenger! 😉

4. Just Kelly October 6 2008 @ 8:45 pm

I’m sure you’ve seen it but do you know about the Couch to 5k program? It’s fabulous! I’m training for a 5k on Thanksgiving. figuring it’ll be a great thing to do before chowing down on four thanksgiving dinners (both my hubby and I’s parents are divorced).

5. Alexia October 6 2008 @ 9:13 pm

I have! I’m surprised that I can see so much progress so fast! We can do this! Good for you! (And how complicated for dinner — is that 4 dinners in one night?!)

6. tangibledisclai89212.pen.io October 3 2014 @ 3:05 pm

Can I just say what a comfort to find somebody that actually knows
    what they are talking about on the internet.
    You definitely realize how to bring an issue to light and
    make it important. A lot more people need to look at this and understand this side of the story.
    I was surprised that you’re not more popular given that you certainly possess
    the gift.

7. Cristina October 9 2014 @ 4:18 am

This excellent website certainly has all of the information I needed about this subject and didn’t know who
    to ask.