Rough day, some highs, some lows. Ideas?

Well, I was ready to write yesterday off, but I pulled it together and turned it around. Learned a few things about myself. Still puzzled by a pattern of mine.

Feel free to pitch in with suggestions :-)

The past week or week and a half have been truly stressful on many many levels. I turned to exercise, ate healthy, meditated, and got lots of supportive hugs from my husband. A new me.

Yesterday, the stress started to ease off.

I reacted by… not eating a darned healthy thing. I underate, got over-caffeinated, and had periodic hits of candy (sweets not normally my thing). Overall, calorie-wise, it wasn’t a wash, but it sure wasn’t healthy.

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home and wanted to fill the cart with Nutter Butter wafers and all kinds of things. I had a moment of sanity and realized I was wanting nurturing and there were better ways to get it. I opted for some healthier options (including a treat of veggie sushi), splurged on a Diet Coke, got what I actually went in for, and headed home. Got some good news (ahhh) and some bad news (argh!!!). Had a nice evening with the kids and then caught up on a lot of things I needed to do after they went to bed. Bread’s baking, lunches are made, clothes are picked, dishes are washed, laundry is folded, paperwork done. Got on the exercise bike (at almost 1am!) and rode while watching a Netflix video I want to return tomorrow and while reading some blogs. (Thanks, Diet Coke!)

So yesterday gets a mixed review. In the end, I turned things back around and am on the right track. And that’s what counts.

What puzzles me is why my challenging times are not in a crisis, but right after when the stress is easing up. This is a pattern for me. People struggle through eating right during the holidays. Me? Nope. But the days after? Look out. What’s up with that? I’m not too worried about my business trip coming up, but rather when I return!

I need to figure this out. I guess awareness is going to be key.

Today I have got to go run. I crave it.

Wed, October 15 2008 » Persistence, Strategy, Stress eating

1. MizFit October 15 2008 @ 5:21 am

ok
    this may come off as weird but it’s my experience.
    when I was a counselor I MORE fretted about clients POST DEPRESSION…when they were coming OUT OF IT as then they had the energy to self hard.
    in a way it is the same with food.
    in times of STRESS IM way too EXHAUSTED STRESSED to eat, well, CRAP.

its as the stress cloud lifts that I even have the timeenergymotivation to do it…

make ANY sense?

2. admin October 15 2008 @ 6:32 am

That does make sense — I’d heard that about depression, but hadn’t made the food connection. Hmm. Thanks, Miz :-)

3. Just_Kelly October 15 2008 @ 7:45 am

Way to turn it around at the end of the day. I’m trying to focus on doing that too… not letting a couple poor choices spiral out of control and give me a “free pass” to blow off the rest of the day/week/month.

It’s good you are identifying your weak points. Could you fill those times with something else? A hobby or friends perhaps?

4. Delightfully Healthy October 15 2008 @ 1:43 pm

The first thing I thought of was the end-of-semester syndrome – after all the finals and papers were done, I used to get sick. It used to happen when a show I was in closed, too. I think our bodies are incredibly smart, and they can get us through a rough patch with flying colors. But there’s some deferring going on.

What I find helpful in those situations is to consciously make the decision to eat or do something decadent, and enjoy the heck out of it. Maybe it’s a piece of double chocolate fudge cake, maybe it’s spending a whole day in my pajamas. But I give myself permission and then go for it. I end up feeling rewarded, and it (usually) stops there.

Yay you for noticing your pattern and wanting to make a change! I hope these comments help.

5. Alexia October 15 2008 @ 1:47 pm

I want a whole day in pajamas! Yes, yes!

Thanks, guys :-)

6. Annette October 15 2008 @ 1:59 pm

interesting! I turn to hot green tea these days as my answer to anything. Perhaps I’ll turn green 😉

7. Crabby McSlacker October 15 2008 @ 2:50 pm

Way to get back on track though. I think we all have days when we’d love to dive head first into pile of Nutter Butters (or whatever), and it does seem like there’s not always a logic to when that hits. There’s no way to be perfect all the time, but it’s great it didn’t totally throw you off.

8. Lyn October 15 2008 @ 5:22 pm

Hey we really ARE on the same wavelength. And while I was fritzing out all day while the stress was going on, afterwards when things settled down IS when I started thinking, I need a cupcake (aka a BATCH of cupcakes). I didn’t do it. But you’re right… often it’s after the crisis that we want to relax with some comfort food. After all, we deserve it after all that stress, right? (Aha, I think that’s what my thinking has been).

9. Yvonne October 16 2008 @ 12:32 am

I personally think that when the stress lets off then we let our guard down. We actually get that small window to relax, so we maybe relax a little too much. Not to mention a bunch of jusk about stress, hormones, the nervous system, and such…

10. AndrewE October 16 2008 @ 1:56 am

Hmmm…I’m a bit the same. When I’m not busy I find it harder to stay on program.