The body: tool of exploration or place of imprisonment

First, let me say, we saw the most incredible rainbow ever today. Never saw anything like it in my life. My two daughters ran screaming into the house to get my husband. We all stood and admired it. Amazing. In a few minutes, it was gone.

Now — let me share another amazing thing. A profound quote from a book that really affected me today. An a-ha moment.

I’m reading one of Bingham‘s books called The Courage to Start.

I almost didn’t buy it because it’s about starting to run and I thought, well, I’ve already started, why do I need this? I don’t need convincing! I’m so glad I did get it.

One quote in particular really hit me tonight:

Being an athlete is having a body that is a tool of exploration instead of a place of imprisonment.

Wow.

Take a minute and think about it.

How many years have I felt at odds with my body? Almost my whole life. The only time I didn’t was when I was pregnant. But getting to this place — of being integrated with my body, partners with my body — is new to me. And it is making a world of difference. My body is no longer this other entity I have to conquer — my body is me and it is something to be nurtured and cherished, a partner.

I am an integrated whole, not a collection of defective parts.

Thu, January 8 2009 » Everything else

1. MizFit January 8 2009 @ 6:36 am

(emailed you a few days ago and it just bounced back to me! got the book. THANKS!)

2. Just_Kelly January 8 2009 @ 8:33 am

Fabulous quote. Printing and posting on my fridge. Thanks for sharing.

3. Jill January 8 2009 @ 11:05 am

Amen sister! It has taken me a loooong time to get the place where I’m not constantly at odds with my body. Great quote!

4. JAson January 8 2009 @ 12:59 pm

Great book. I just love the beginning when he talks about his first run. This book is a great book.

5. Anonymous January 9 2009 @ 10:23 pm

That quote about the body as a tool of exploration makes me think of Nia, an excercise class I go to once a week that blends dance, martial arts, and healing arts (like yoga). It focuses on the joy of movement and using your body for self-expression rather than doing it “right”. Kind of like how little kids experience their bodies…

6. Chez Julie January 9 2009 @ 10:24 pm

Anonymous was me. :-) Go Team Lynn!

7. Alexia January 12 2009 @ 10:26 am

Thanks, all! That quote just really touched me. I’m glad it resonated with you, too.

Julie, I heard of Nia by name, but didn’t know what it was about — sounds interesting!