My weight loss over time, in a picture (well, graph): yo-yo to steady-as-she-goes

Well, I’m actually down a bit more today — and very close to the 50 pounds gone mark.

I keep track of my progress in a spreadsheet now because, along with my not-dieting, the number on the scale no longer (well, rarely) has meaning to me these days other than a progress metric — it’s not a judgement of my worth. It helps me be accountable, but also have perspective.

I thought the resulting graph was kind of interesting because it shows my old dieting way compared to my new non-dieting way:

For 15+ years, I yo-yo-ed wildly, sometimes down 80 and up 100 in a single year or two. This doesn’t capture all the years, but trust me, the pattern of those early years followed the jagged up and down of the left-most portion of the graph.

Since I quit dieting, look at the nice steady decline on the right — with really little effort to speak of. Well, I shouldn’t say little effort — I’ve been expending effort — I should say with little struggle, deprivation, resentment. It’s not fast and dramatic, the way I used to like to experience things. I’ve learned something about consistency and persistence.

It’s a much more peaceful way to live.

Wed, February 4 2009 » Persistence, Progress, Strategy

1. Just_Kelly February 4 2009 @ 11:20 am

Way to go on making sustainable, consistent progress!

2. Alexia February 4 2009 @ 11:44 am

Hey, guys — I had a few folks ask me for more details about the chart. The time period of the steady-as-she-goes portion is from May of 2008 through today, so about 8 months. Each band (from horizontal line to horizontal line) represents 50 pounds.

3. Annette February 4 2009 @ 2:29 pm

looks like some great progress—–that will stick this time ;)

4. MizFit February 4 2009 @ 3:58 pm

great progress.
    and graph.
    my computer skillz sucketh.

5. Charla May 16 2013 @ 7:21 am

Having read this I believed it was rather enlightening.
    I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this
    content together. I once again find myself spending way
    too much time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

6. website October 9 2014 @ 1:28 am

Hello, all the time i used to check web site posts here in the
    early hours in the break of day, for the reason that i enjoy to learn more and more.

One Ping

1. Weight Loss » Blog Archive » My weight loss over time, in a picture (well, graph): yo-yo to … February 4 2009 @ 11:36 am